Purpose of the policy
The purpose of this policy is to establish a simple and fair procedure for addressing complaints. This policy outlines our process for handling complaints.
Person responsible for handling complaints
The person responsible for implementing this policy within our firm is Mr. Éric Desjardins, V.P. Insurance at Prima Assurances. Mr. Desjardins ensures that complaints received by the firm are handled in accordance with this policy.
Mr. Desjardins acts as the point of contact with the ‘’ Autorité des marches financiers’’ and ensures the training of our staff. He is responsible for conveying all necessary information to the personnel to comply with this policy.
As the person in charge of this policy, Mr. Desjardins also has the following functions:
- Sending an acknowledgment and notice to the complainant within five days of receiving the complaint;
- Transmitting the file to the ‘’Autorité des marches financiers’’ upon the complainant’s request;
- Submitting a report twice a year to the ‘’Autorité des marchés financiers’’ through the ‘’Système de rapport de plaintes’’ (no later than July 30th for data collected between January 1st and June 30th, and no later than January 30th for data collected between July 1st and December 31st.)
For the purpose of this policy, a complaint constitutes the expression of at least one of the following three elements that remains after being considered and processed at the operational level to reach a decision:
- A reproach against an employee or the firm;
- The identification of a potential or real harm that a consumer may have suffered or could suffer;
- The request for corrective action.
Dissatisfaction or concern
An informal approach to rectify a specific problem or obtain information, if the issue is addressed within the regular activities of our firm, does not constitute a complaint. In the first instance, the complainant is encouraged to contact their broker by phone (514-383-6098, extension 1201) or by email at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A complainant who is not satisfied with the responses or information received in the previous step and wishes to file a complaint must do so in writing, addressing the person responsible for this policy:
- By email: email@example.com
- By mail: c/o Éric Desjardins, 550 Chemin du Coteau. Suite 400, Terrebonne, Qc, J6W 5H2.
Please mention in the subject line: ‘’Complaint – To be delivered to the person responsible for handling complaints.’’
Receipt of the complaint
Any employee who receives a complaint must promptly forward it to the person responsible for handling complaints. Mr. Desjardins must then acknowledge receipt of the complaint within a reasonable period, which is within five (5) business days of receiving the complaint.
Handling a complaint
Upon receipt of the complaint, Prima Assurances Initiates its complaint handling process. The processing of the complaint, including the analysis of the complaint and relevant documents, is carried out within a reasonable period, which is within five (5) days following the receipt of all necessary information for its examination. In the case of an incomplete complaint, a notice requesting additional information must be sent to the complainant. The complainant must respond within 15 business days; otherwise, the complaint will be deemed abandoned. Upon completion of the complaint examination, the person responsible for this policy provides the complainant with a final written and reasoned response.
Each complaint is treated as a separate file. The file includes the following elements:
- The complainant’s written complaint, including the elements of the complaint (the reproach against the firm or the autonomous representative; the real or potential arm; the requested corrective action).
- The result of the complaint handling process (the analysis and supporting documents).
- The final response to the complainant, in written and reasoned form.
Submission of the file to the regulatory authority
If the complainant is not satisfied with the final position obtained or the handling of their complaint, they may request, at any time, for their file to be transferred to the ‘’Autorité des marches financiers’’. The transferred file consists of all information related to the complaint. The responsibility for complying with the rules regarding the protection of personal information in our possession remains with our firm.
This policy came into effect on June 1st, 2022.